Monday, January 11, 2010

Project Craftiness

Cupcakes coming soon, in fact I even have a new flavor to introduce to you. I'm also backed up on recipes I want to share, so hopefully lots of blogging will occur within the next couple of weeks!

Monday's, my oldest son (Josh) has off of preschool, and this being his last year before kindergarten I've been trying to be diligent with that time. This was our first Monday together in awhile without things being off from the holidays, so it was fun to get to enjoy that time together. We met some friends at Chick-Fil-A where he got to play an extra long time and then we came home to work on a project.
My friend Kristin recently introduced me to this blog which is my new favorite. She has all kinds of fun crafts as well as photography, plus some great ideas for kids. While looking through some of her great crafts I found this post on a DIY apron that was thrifty and cute. I can use up some aprons so thrifty caught me. It was also simple enough I could make with Josh.

So that was our Monday bonding, aprons and his favorite muffins. The aprons only took me 5 minutes to make. For 2. I will be making these more often! Plus they would make fun gifts to stick in stockings, or a bridal shower gift, or to take to someone with some goodies, a recipe and an apron. We also cranked out the muffins pretty quick since Josh is an old pro (he can even crack eggs!), and the recipe gets made a minimum of once a month in our house.

Here are our results:

Josh's apron

Creaming the butter and sugar

My apron, not so graciously photographed!

Our muffins

Now it would be mean of me to show you our wonderful muffins and not give you the recipe. Being the nice person that I am, here you go:

Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip muffins:

  • 2 sticks butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 4 large or 5 small bananas extra ripe (I throw mine in the freezer until I'm ready and then defrost)
  • dash of salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 cups oatmeal, you can use more or less depending on your preference
  • 1/2 to 3/4 bag of chocolate chips, I use ghiradelli dark, for this recipe

Preheat over to 350 F. Cream butter and sugar (by hand or in mixer), add eggs one at a time and mix well. Add bananas and mix until just combined. Add baking soda and salt, stir a few times to incorporate and add flour. Mix well. Add oatmeal, mix well. Add chocolate chips, stir until evenly distributed. Place heaping tablespoons into a greased muffin pan and bake about 19 minutes. Makes about 18.

3 comments:

gv said...

I love that you're standing on your bathtub taking that picture. Great aprons!

Annie said...

These muffins sound delicious, thanks for sharing the recipe. I love the apron photos too! My husband would swoon if I served him these for breakfast instead of raisin bran... hmmm :)

Unknown said...

The muffins were amazing, I made them for my small group snack and they were great. I doubled the recipe made 36 muffins(18 people in our group and I didn't bring any home because they were all gone) and a small loaf. I sent the loaf with my Husband to work and they wanted me to make another one for the next day :) Thanks Katie !!