Monday, September 21, 2009

Key Lime Pie- with recipe!

I debated which recipe to give you first, salmon or key lime pie, and since summer is quickly coming to an end (as in today...), I thought I would throw the key lime pie your way before it's time for all my apple recipes.



I saw this on Oprah, and I thought I would give it a try. I'm normally not a huge key lime pie person, just because it's usually too tart and not very well balanced. This exceeded my expectations. Not only was it delicious, I was impressed with how easy it was too. They also freeze really well. I made some mini pies in ramekins, and I've got six waiting for me in the freezer.



Mar-A-Lago Key Lime Pie



Ingredients:Serves 8

Graham Cracker Crust:

  • 3/4 pound graham crackers

  • 4 Tbsp. granulated sugar

  • 2 sticks melted butter

  • 1/4 tsp. sea salt
Filling:
  • 4 egg yolks

  • 1 can (14 ounces) condensed milk

  • 2/3 cup fresh Key lime juice

  • 1 lime , grated zest
Topping:
  • 1 cup heavy or whipping cream , chilled

  • 2 Tbsp. confectioners' sugar

  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

To make graham cracker crust: Preheat the oven to 325°.

Break up the graham crackers, place in a food processor and process to crumbs. Add the melted butter, sugar and salt and pulse until combined. Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch pie pan, forming an even layer on the bottom, sides and edge. Bake the crust for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the crust to cool.

To make filling: While the crust is resting, in an electric mixer with the wire whisk attachment, whip the egg yolks and lime zest at high speed until fluffy, or 5 to 6 minutes. Gradually add the condensed milk and continue to whip until thick, 3 to 4 minutes longer. Lower the mixer speed and slowly add the lime juice until incorporated.

Pour the mixture into the crust and bake for 15 minutes, or until the filling has just set. Cool on a wire rack, and then refrigerate for 20 minutes.

To make topping: Whip the cream, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until nearly stiff. Evenly spread the whipped cream on top of the pie, and place in the freezer for 20 minutes prior to serving.

On the show he put a ton of white chocolate on top. I did this at home as well (since it is what attracted me to the recipe) and I would really recommend doing this as well, it really helps the taste balance, texture and just gives it that something special.

2 comments:

renee said...

sounds and looks delightful. i'm going to have to give these a try...

Jessica said...

oh my goodness YUMMMM. Key lime pie is my favorite!! Too bad I'm on the p90x diet... but oh wait.. I'm in Florida right now.. I think that's excuse enough to indulge in some!